General Insurance in Spain

Insuring Spanish property

If you are buying a property in Spain, own a home in Spain or live in Spain you will need to consider what insurance policies you need to have in place to provide peace of mind and protect yourself and your assets.

As agents of “Mapfre” we belong to one of the largest and most trusted Insurance Company in Spain

Mapfre cover all aspects of insurance needs and tailor make insurance policies to suit the individual needs. Free quotes are available at all times.

Contact us today »

What insurances do I need to consider when buying in Spain or living in Spain

Buildings cover for Spanish Properties

If you have a mortgage in Spain you will be required to have buildings insurance by law. In past years banks have provided the cover automatically but without the client realizing they could shop around for a better deal. Often the Bank insurance policies are in Spanish, when making claims the help is in Spanish and it can be difficult to obtain each year a quote before funds are automatically taken from your bank account. Of recent the building insurance requirement can be tied to the rate you pay so if you want to look for other providers you need to check changing provider will not have an effect on the mortgage rate you pay. You may never the less be able to save some significant yearly sums by getting a quote from us.

If you do not have a mortgage it is still a very good idea to ensure you have adequate and sufficient buildings cover in place. Whilst many properties are covered by community insurance often this is only the communal areas and should anything happen within in your individual unit cover would not apply. It costs nothing to check what is in place is suitable for you.

Community Insurance urban developments in Spain

If you live in a property which is part of a community we can help. The organization of consumers and users (OCU) has classified Mapfre´s community insurance as the best on the market (March 2013)

Besides the standard cover there would be up to 6 days surveillance and protection of the building in the event of fire, explosion, flooding or burglary. There is also access to plague control assistance twice a year and public liability covers all members of the board, not just the President.

If rain and fire cause damage to the community gardens these can be reconstructed, and accidents of members of staff are covered as well.

Mapfre´s community insurance is the only policy in the market that covers damages caused by the sinking or sliding of land due to building works not linked to the community building.

Contents Cover for your possessions held in Spain

Contents cover is not obligatory either with or without a mortgage but is none the less advisable to have in place. If you rent out the property the contents cover should include public liability. Often it can very cost effective to have a combined buildings and contents policy in place as discounts can be offered if both are covered by the same provider. As with buildings insurance one of the key things for the insured client is that they understand what their policy covers and that in the event of a claim they have someone who speaks their language supporting them.

Life cover

Most people will hold sufficient life cover in the country of residency to cover and protect their family in the event of untimely death. The laws on inheritance tax in Spain mean that you should consider ensuring that the life cover you have will also cover any tax liability in Spain. For further information on Inheritance taxes and the implications on beneficiaries go to our page Inheritance tax and Wills ».

Car Insurance when driving in Spain

If you own a car in Spain you will be required by law to have car Insurance. Like other countries the cover can range from third party to fully comprehensive. Like insurance in other countries car insurance initial premium costs is not the only consideration. Consideration must be taken as to what the cover provides and the likelihood of receiving adequate, timely and full payout in the event of a claim.

Insurance in Spain will provide a peace of mind by protecting your assets

Spanish Health Care

If you live in Spain or spend a lot of time in Spain and are not covered under the National Health it is important to ensure you have access to the best Private Health care possible. Whilst in some circumstances under the EU and or if you pay social security in Spain you will have access to the Spanish national health care system, you will not have choices as to what hospitals and doctors you can access. Under the National Health it can be difficult to find Doctors and Medical Centers that are able to communicate effectively in your language, and if you are under the National Health System you will have geographical restrictions which can make health care provision pot luck depending on where you live.

Private Health care provision can be surprisingly cost effective for the level of peace of mind it provides. A range of different polices are available to suit your situation.

Other Insurances

Whatever your Spanish insurance need may be you can trust us to offer you the best policy. As part of Spain´s largest insurance company we can offer the following cover and much more:

  • Vehicle insurance
  • Motorbike insurance
  • Boat insurance
  • Home insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Health insurance
  • Public liability insurance
  • Travel insurance
  • Legal assistance insurance
  • Alarm systems
  • Cyclist insurance
  • Pension planning
  • Savings plans
  • Business insurance
  • Stock insurance
  • Construction insurance
  • Machinery insurance
  • Agricultural insurance
  • Pet and animal insurance
  • Crop insurance
  • Hunting and fishing insurance

Contact us today »